Saturday 4 July 2009

Magnificent Make Do and Mend Advice - Eco-friendly tips from the 1940s!


















These 2 little books from the 1940s are really fantastic, published during World War II, when shortages of all types of resources were taken extremely seriously. These books are crammed with wonderful tips to maintain, restore and re-make clothes and textiles rather than simply buying new ones, which wasn't always possible at the time.

This incredibly sensible and creative ethos seems especially relevant these days, with dwindling natural resources and global warming, not to mention the current recession. Perhaps it is time for us to stop shopping for new at the drop of a hat or change of fashion, and learn or re-learn some of the old skills our Mothers and Grandmothers used, patching, darning etc!



3 comments:

  1. I so agree with you Lois!
    I'm always thrilled when I find antique French textile pieces with those funny patches and darns that could only be French...often slap-dash, but so attractive in their own right!

    And don't you find the charity shops are far busier these days - I really do think people are beginning to recycle a whole lot more...

    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! I am with you all the way. I managed to find some gorgeous "patched & repaired" pieces in France this weekend. I don't know how I am going to part with them!
    Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure the darns and patches are what drew me towards French fabric in the first place! Eco-friendly as well as terribly eco-chic!!

    ReplyDelete