Friday 9 April 2010

A Sad Parting - Georgian Patchwork Coverlet














I have come to a difficult decision, and have decided to sell this beautiful Georgian patchwork coverlet, I think it is English, covered with many different block printed floral & patterened cottons. I have owned it for about a year now, I was lucky to swap it for something else, and I have really enjoyed pouring over the fabrics, but despite its unique, exquisite beauty, it doesn't quite go with my other furnishings, its pale prettiness needs either a pretty country cottage setting, or a sparse Shaker interior to really set it off well, neither of which is very 'me', I like to live with a jumble of textiles and furnishings in darker, more faded and worn condition, a kind of ecclectic 'faded grandeur' if you know what I mean.

The fabrics date to somewhere between the late 1700s and early 1800s, I assume it to be made about 1820-30 with contemporary fabrics and older ones saved for the purpose. There is no batting, it is backed with pieced together scraps of cotton damasked with fine striping. It is in incredible condition for its age, it must have been stored away very carefully over the years, and doesn't look as if it has seen much use. There are a few little marks and tiny holes, but negligable fading or wear.

The hardest thing about being in the textiles business is the desire to keep everything.... Unfortunately, as the textile concern is my only source of income, and with a daughter at university and the taxman to pay, I cannot afford that luxury! However, I do get to keep things for a while, to photograph, study and enjoy them before they have to be passed on elsewhere. I suppose that is one of the reasons I like this blog, it gives me the chance to share, not only from my small personal collection, but also 'The Ones That Got Away'... I have priced the coverlet quite high on ebay, so who knows, maybe it won't sell, and I get to keep it anyway!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful and tenderly soft, as in pastel, quilt. But there is nothing like "faded grandeur" as you say. I think you are so right about it being difficult, as a dealer in textiles, to part with certain things, but your idea of keeping them for awhile and studying and learning from them is such a positive reward. I also find that if I keep things for awhile, over time, I am not so attached and can find a way to part with certain ones so I can make room for something new and equally cherished. I will have to jump over to ebay and look at this piece as well as some others. Good luck with the sale!

    ReplyDelete