Monday 8 February 2010

The Deserter - Toile de Nantes c1780-90










A recent aquisition, a small French pelmet made from a linen cotton mix, hand stitched and quilted, lightly batted with fleece, a madder dyed monochrome toile de Nante. Apparently it is called The Deserter, but I don't have a reference to it in any of my books. I really like it, Sapper my military historian friend thinks it may depict a tale from the Seven Years War - 1756-1763 - perhaps a conflict between the French & English within this war that involved all the major Europen powers of the period. In fact it was described as the first 'World War' because of its global nature. I like the dramatic depiction of the rearing horse ridden by an officer seizing the deserter.
All in all, an unusual piece, perhaps with more to reveal after further research.

2 comments:

  1. Such amazing pieces you share with your toile finds. By the way, what is the story with this lovely pink fancy dress off to the side? Is it a vintage piece that you own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a gorgeous '50s ball gown I bought for Morgaine, but it didn't fit, so I sold it a while ago! It was really beautiful, a fairy princesses dream prom-gown...

    ReplyDelete